Adobe recently released an update for their Adobe Help client for Adobe CS5 products. It’s an Adobe AIR-based application, and so is packaged in a different format than Adobe CS5 products or CS5 updates, so enterprise deployment software that knows how to deal with other Adobe software may still not be able to deploy this update.
So what’s a poor Mac OS X admin to do?
In the comments here:
http://blogs.adobe.com/csupdates/2010/08/27/adobe-community-help-3-3/#comments, Joe Chilcote posted a command-line way to do the update. I took his concepts and created a “payload-free” Apple package with a postflight script that installs the updated AIR and Adobe Help applications. This package should work with any deployment software that knows how to install Apple packages.
But I don’t think Adobe would be happy if I redistributed Adobe AIR and the Help update, so what I can offer you, gentle reader, is a kit that requires some assembly.
First, you need all the parts:
- My package wrapper.
- The Adobe AIR installer, which you can get from Adobe here.
- The Adobe Help update. Get it from Adobe here. Don’t install it; just download the AdobeHelp.air file.
Once you have all the parts, you can start assembling the working package.
- Mount the disk image containing the package wrapper, and copy the AdobeCommunityHelpClientWrapper.pkg to someplace writable, like your desktop.
- Control-click on the AdobeCommunityHelpClientWrapper.pkg copy, and choose “Show Package Contents”
- Navigate to the Contents/Resources sub-directory.
- Copy the Adobe AIR Installer.app and AdobeHelp.air components into the package’s Contents/Resources directory.
If you did everything correctly, the package contents should look like this:
Close everything up and give it a whirl. This package will only install on the boot volume, so you can’t use it in an InstaDMG-style workflow, but I’ve tested it both with a logged-in user and at the loginwindow with no current user.
Feel free to examine the postflight script — it’s written in Python. It could be easily modified to install other Adobe AIR-based apps.